|Posted by mjennings on July 12, 2014 at 2:10 AM|
Parents! We need your help! We are holding a meeting at 7pm Tuesday July 22nd in the Little Theater for any and all parents available to help this coming year with fundraising, spring musical, spring trip, field trips, etc. Our goal will be to set up guidelines for a potential choral boosters organization and to begin fundraising for our spring trip-- a cruise! Please, please help me spread the word. We need YOU!
|Posted by mjennings on April 1, 2014 at 10:55 AM|
As part of your mid-term exam, you will log in to Noteflight.com (Username=school email; Password=school laptop password).
Create a "New Score." Delete the bass clef line by going to "Edit" and select "Delete Line."
You will create 8 measures of only quarter notes (no rests) that make sense in solfege. Use the following guidelines:
- Begin and end on "do." Use the ledger line below the staff as your "do." Remember, keep this consistent throughout your composition.
- Place the notes on the appropriate lines/spaces to write out the following solfege sequence: do, do, do, re\ mi, sol, sol, sol\ la, la, la, la\ sol, fa, mi, mi\ sol, sol, do^, do^\ ti, la, sol, sol\ fa, mi, re, re\ ti, re, do, do\\.
- You may use the "playback" function to listen to your composition. If it sounds off, it probably is.
- When you are finished, save your composition as "Mid-Term Exam, 4-1-14." Type your name in your composition as "Composer," and print it off. Turn it in by the end of class.
THIS ASSIGNMENT IS DUE TUESDAY, APRIL 1ST by the end of class. Happy composing! :-)
|Posted by mjennings on December 3, 2012 at 3:40 PM|
Show Choir dresses will be checked out to all ladies tomorrow (Tuesday, 12/4/12). A pearl necklace set (necklace, earrings & bracelet) will accompany the dresses and is part of the uniform. All Show Choir dresses are machine washable, but I'd wash separately the first couple of times since they are brand new.
Dresses WASHED and pearls are due back by next Wednesday (12/12/12), the last day of classes for the fall semester.
Show Choir tuxes, vests & bowties will be sent home either tomorrow or Wednesday, depending on when bowties arrive. They are to arrive back DRY CLEANED by the last day of class for any men not participating in Vocal Ensemble in the spring.
|Posted by mjennings on December 3, 2012 at 3:35 PM|
Progress Reports went home today for all my classes. They have VERY current grades. These need to be signed and returned by the end of the day on Thursday 12/6/12 to receive full credit. Return them tomorrow (Tues. 12/4) for 10 points EXTRA CREDIT. After Thursday I will accept them, but at a loss of a letter grade per day late. As always, please email me with any questions.
|Posted by mjennings on December 3, 2012 at 3:30 PM|
All State SSA chorus tracks have been posted on Ms. Alt's website with the other chorus tracks (http://schoolcenter.gcsnc.com/education/components/docmgr/default.php?sectiondetailid=326993&linkid=nav-menu-container-4-1540911). SSA girls will need to have these CD's to me by this
Friday Dec. 7th.
The following students need to see Ms. Jennings ASAP to schedule after school All State practices: Morgan Kirkland, Rachel Burdick-Hanks, Tristan Brown
Happy Singing! :-)
|Posted by mjennings on November 28, 2012 at 12:50 AM|
The reasoning behind having Show Choir perform both Thursday and Saturday was to provide performance experience, further utilize our new outfits, and to allow audience members who couldn't come on Thursday to be able to see the same performance on Saturday evening. (This was expressed by both students and community members last year.)
I appreciate the support and flexibility of everyone in having a Saturday evening performance. However, for many reasons, we are cancelling the Show Choir portion of the Saturday evening performance.
Thursday evening's performance will remain the same. Show Choir will meet at 6pm in the Little Theatre with makeup/hair/new outfits/character shoes all on and ready to go. Every student in all classes are required to stay for the entire evening's performance to receive full credit. Please see previous posts concerning grading.
Again, thank you to each one of our students and parents for your flexibility and support!
|Posted by mjennings on November 20, 2012 at 4:35 PM|
All All State Chorus students (including alternates) should have their $30 registration fee paid before leaving for Thanksgiving. Make checks out to: Swain High School Chorus. You will receive your music when your money is handed in.
Your first priority (including altnernates) should be to download your rehearsal tracks & practice, practice, practice! (Due Dec. 1st)
- Go to http://gcsnc.com/balt. Click on the link for All-State Rehearsal Tracks for your appropriate choir. After you click on the file icon beside the song title, it will bring you to a black screen to play it. You can right-click anywhere on the black screen and select "Save As" to save the recording on your computer as an mp3 file.
- Create a CD to rehearse on your own with. Your CD is due Dec. 1st.
- http://gcsnc.com/balt. Click on "All-State Forms." Print off the following:
- 2013 All-State Student Expectations form
- 2013 All-State Video & Medical Release form
- 2013 All-State Schedule (I've been informed the Saturday schedule may change slightly. An updated copy will come in January.)
- We need a total of 2 hours before the zone rehearsal on January 10th.
- I would prefer to meet with both the participant and alternate at the same time.
**Participants MUST attend the Zone Rehearsal at Western Carolina University on Thursday, January 10th from 5-8pm. Please let Ms. Jennings know ASAP if you cannot attend. *Alternates, you need to keep this day open in case you get to go. Remember, anything can happen at the last minute!
|Posted by mjennings on November 20, 2012 at 4:25 PM|
SHS Theatre Arts students will present two Christmas plays, "A Hillbilly Christmas Carol" and "The Missing Choir of Soda Springs" on Thursday and Saturday evenings, Dec. 6th & 8th starting at 6:30pm in the Swain County Center for the Arts. The newly formed Swain Pride Show Choir will also be performing. Tickets are $3 for students and $5 for adults (sold at the door) and will go to support the Theatre Arts and Choir department at Swain High. Thank you for supporting our students and the arts in Swain County.
All Theatre Arts & Show Choir students need to meet at 6pm in costume and make-up:
- Show Choir students need to meet at 6pm in the Little Theatre, dressed in your new show choir outfits with hair and makeup finished.
- Both Theatre Arts classes need to meet at 6pm in the Center for the Arts (loading dock room).
Thursday evening's performance will serve as Show Choir's final exam and will be worth 30% of the final grade for the 2nd quarter. Unexcused absences will receive a zero. Excused absences (severe illness, death in the family) may be made up (written assignment will be assigned). Family trips/vacations or a lack of a ride do not constitute an excused absence. Please feel free to email me with any questions.
For more information, email [email protected]
|Posted by mjennings on November 11, 2012 at 8:50 PM|
"Annie" is coming to SCHS! Performance dates and times are: March 15, 16, 22, 23 at 6:30pm and March 17 & 24 at 2:30pm. There will also be a children's matinee on Saturday, March 23 at 2:30pm.
Auditions for the main cast of our spring musical "Annie" will be held after school on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday (Nov. 14th-16th) until 4pm in the Little Theatre. Friday will most likely be for "call-backs." Anyone interested should pick up a CD and audition packet from Ms. Jennings as soon as possible. Students should be prepared for the following: act out the script selection (memorization is highly encouraged but not required) and be prepared to sing the selections for that character as provided in the packet.
*All ladies auditioning for any part should be prepared to also audition for an orphan part.
Lead cast parts will rehearse after school during January & February. Smaller parts may have a few rehearsals after school in February. Chorus parts will rehearse during Vocal Ensemble 4th period in the Spring.
The judges reserve the right to assign any person auditioning a part other than the one he/she auditions for. We assign parts based on what is the "best fit" for the given talent. This is what makes excellent productions. Thank you for understanding.